Friday, April 17, 2009

Woo-hoo, BabyCakes NYC Headed for Downtown LA!


In a sudden turn of events, BabyCakes NYC, originally headed for Beverly in West Hollywood, is now landing closer to our neck of the woods in the Old Bank district in Downtown. Thanks for the good news tweet, Angelenic!

From their Twitter and blog post, it sounds like there are some folks who are disappointed by this decision. But c'mon Beverly Blvders, you have so many baked goods options to choose from: Joan's on Third, Susina, Milk, La Brea Bakery, Toast, and more. And you can get your vegan cookies at Whole Foods and Real Food Daily. We do have our share with Delilah's, Lark, and Auntie Em's close by, but BabyCakes NYC sounds like a completely different animal, so to speak!

BabyCakes NYC caters to those with sensitive systems with baked goods that are vegan, gluten-free, wheat-free, casein-free, soy-free, egg-free, refined sugar-free, and kosher. Honestly, I have no idea what casein is or why one would need to abstain from it, but I'm glad BabyCakes NYC is there for these intolerant folks.

And let me just say that it took me awhile to come around to the idea of vegan baked goods. I mean, the thought of using anything other than butter and eggs seemed sacrilegious, unnecessary, and downright wrong. But as someone who loves to bake and share the wealth with her coworkers, I started feeling guilty for contributing to an unhealthy work environment with my fat-laden creations. So I started looking into low-fat baking and found Isa Moskowitz's recipe for vegan pumpkin oatmeal cookies on the Post Punk Kitchen website. After some modifications (I couldn't resist throwing in some vegan chocolate chips and used whole wheat pastry flour), I made what turned out to be some of the most deliciously tender and all-around scrumptious cookies. Seriously, my co-workers and skeptical husband raved. But I digress - long story short: I'm no longer opposed to vegan baked goods.

If a cupcake tastes as good, if not better, than the real thing but is a little less unhealthy I'm totally into it. Ok, I do have to say that baking w/o butter and eggs, not to mention refined sugars is a very tricky operation often resulting in cakes that taste like bricks, cookies reminiscent of hockey pucks, and frostings that are gummy. But I say hoorah to those magicians who are able to master the craft.

I've never tried anything from BabyCakes NYC (feel free to send samples or sign me up for a preview tasting, BabyCakes NYC! I have no shame.), but if their positive press (Gourmet, W, In Style and more) is any indication, these folks know what they're doing. They do it all: cookies, cakes, cupcakes, scones, muffins, cookie sandwiches, cinnamon rolls and more. I, for one, welcome the BabyCakes family with open arms!

A few comments to BabyCakes:

~ Yes to the dessert truck in Silver Lake or Echo Park. Park outside the Echo after a show and you'll sell out in no time.

~ Yes to the free parking in Downtown. Parking is such a pain during the week.

~ Please consider accepting cards for any amount. I rarely carry cash but sometimes just want a little something.

~ Look into collaborating with another NY transplant, Two Boots in Echo Park. I seem to recall they have some sort of dessert, but your cupcakes would fit right in.

Thanks for reading!






No comments: